COMANCO’s Fleet Department hosted a live-fire demonstration for all office personnel this week. This annual training is important because it will help them locate an extinguisher quickly, giving them a better chance of bringing the fire under control. We had a large turnout with 32 employees in attendance.
We discussed the importance of inspecting your fire extinguishers monthly.
- Always review the attached instructions.
- Confirm the needle on the gauge is in the GREEN, signifying no pressure leak.
- Check the tamper seal and pull the pin to confirm they are in place. The tamper seal should never be a zip tie.
- Check the tank’s body for any signs of dents, corrosion, or signs of leakage.
- Check the discharge hose for any dry rot or blockages at the nozzle.
- Turn extinguisher upside down to ‘fluff’ the dry chemicals, stopping the extinguishing agent from packing up at the base.
- Lastly, initial and date the inspection card and secure it back to the extinguisher.
During the demonstration, Mechanic Earl Lynch instructed the group to extinguish a fire using the PASS acronym properly.
P – Pull
A – Aim
S – Squeeze
S – Sweep
Fire extinguisher training covers more than just how to use a fire extinguisher — it educates employees about existing workplace fire hazards, teaches them how to respond appropriately, and keeps everyone around them as safe as possible.
SAFETY ★ QUALITY ★ SERVICE