Outside temperatures are reaching record highs
COMANCO has taken steps to combat the heat by being proactive and enacting administrative and engineering controls to keep our guys safe.
Things that we have implemented and have helped:
- Understanding the signs and symptoms of heat-related injuries (i.e., dizziness, short of breath, cramps) can help save a life. Realizing them promptly in yourself and co-workers can save vital time when trying to administer first aid.
- Understanding an individual’s body limits and taking needed and frequent breaks in a cool and shaded environment goes a long way to combat the heat as well.
LIMITING HOURS WORKED IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT
- Early morning and night shifts pose their challenges but have proven effective as temperatures are at their lowest.
ENSURING PROPER HYDRATION
- Hydration, hydration, hydration. This is stressed at all of our morning meetings, making sure the crew understands how dangerous dehydration can be.
PROPER CLOTHING AND SHADE
- Hat brims and neck shades help core temperatures stay low by keeping the sun directly off the skin.
- Sports clothing made of “Dri-fit” material helps to wick sweat away from the body and help maintain lower core temperatures.
- Wheeled tents that are easily accessible help provide shade wherever our crew is working.
COOLING RAGS AND VESTS
- Special vests designed to help maintain lower core temperatures. Some can be filled with water, while others can be soaked in cold water.
- Cooling rags can be wrapped around the neck and head, helping to provide lower core temperatures.
COMANCO is an environmental, commercial, and civil construction company specializing in the construction of containment facilities and the nation’s leading service provider to the geosynthetics marketplace.
SAFETY ★ QUALITY ★ SERVICE